COVID-19 Preparedness Plan for In Person Lessons
9/1/2022: Please review the Center for Irish Music's Fall Term COVID-19 preparedness plan. We have updated our in-person lesson policies to include guidelines for students who are exposed to, or test positive for COVID-19. While we are offering more in-person instruction, online lessons and classes will continue to be an option for all students.
General Information for All Students
Required Items for All Students:
- An instrument
- A recording device
- Small notebook and writing utensil
Instrument Rental: CIM has instruments available to rent monthly. Please contact us if you are in need of an instrument. Also see our Instruments FAQ page.
Registration Fee: All students must pay an annual registration fee of $20 per student. The membership runs from September to September and helps to cover basic administrative costs throughout the year. Registration fees are non-refundable. NOTE: We do not charge registration fees for the Minnesota Irish Music Weekend (MIM).
Online Student Portal: Once registered, each active CIM student (or family) has access to an online account called a “student portal” where you can manage your personal information, view your balance, check your lesson schedule, make credit card payments and agree to our policies. To sign into your portal, click here or the link on the upper right-hand corner of the CIM website (any page). Use your primary email address (the one that we have on file for you).
Online Lessons and Classes: If you registered for a group class or private lesson, you will receive a link from your instructor on the first day, shortly before class begins.
Please check out our tech tips google document here.
Deposit: A 25% deposit is due prior to your first lesson or class. Deposits on rental instruments are also due prior to the instrument pick-up. Instruments cannot go home until deposits are paid in full.
Payment Options for Students:
Pay in full at the start of the term
Automatic payment plan (deposit + monthly payments). This option is available for credit cards only, via CIM’s registration system. You must make the first payment yourself in order for automatic deductions to begin.
Manual payment plan (deposit + monthly payments). This option is available for ACH (e-check) and physical check payments. You are responsible for making payments on time. Contact Lily to set this up at email@example.com.
Paying by check or cash: There is a locked drop-box for payments located outside of the CIM Office. Checks are payable to "The Center for Irish Music" or "CIM" and can be mailed to The Center for Irish Music, Suite 400, 836 Prior Ave North, Saint Paul, MN 55104. Please do not send cash through the mail.
Past due payments:
Past due balances are subject to a monthly finance charge of 1.5% (18% annual). Returned checks will be assessed a $25 returned check fee.
Students are not allowed to enroll in future terms until the previous term balance is paid in full.
Cancellations, 24 Hour Notice & Rescheduling Policies
Private Lessons: 24-hour notice by email or phone is required to reschedule a single private lesson. Private lessons cancelled with less than 24 hours notice will be charged to the student and will not be rescheduled. A maximum of one rescheduled lesson (lessons cancelled with 24-hour notice) is allowed per term. The rescheduled lessons (also called "make-up lessons") must take place within that term; otherwise, the student forfeits the lessons.
Private Lessons cancelled by CIM: When an instructor cancels a lesson, they will reschedule a make-up lesson with the student during make-up week (at the end of the term), or at another time during the term. Make-up lessons will be scheduled before the end of the term.
Students are expected to attend all group classes. No group classes will be repeated due to the absence of individual students.
Group Lessons: The Center reserves the right to cancel classes or ensembles with insufficient enrollment. A minimum of 4 students is required to run a group class. Classes that do not meet the minimum enrollment by one week before the first meeting may be cancelled. In the event a class is cancelled, you will be notified and given the opportunity to transfer to another class or upgrade to a smaller group class. If you do not enroll in another class you will receive a full refund.
CIM follows the Saint Paul Public Schools' (SPPS) announcement of snow days. In general, if classes and after-school activities are cancelled for SPPS, CIM will also be closed. There are two exceptions:
- If school/activities are cancelled because of low temperatures and NOT because of excessive snow, CIM will be open.
- If school is cancelled but after-school activities are not cancelled, CIM will be open.
Check the homepage of our website or CIM Facebook page for the most up-to-date information. We try to make a call by 3pm in the event of a snowstorm or extreme weather.
- A 100% refund is available if administration is notified directly within two weeks of the first lesson. Notifying your instructor of withdrawal from private lessons is not sufficient.
- After the two-week grace period (private lessons only): Once a student has registered for a certain number of lessons for the term, the arrangement is considered a contract between student and instructor (instructors have reserved that time slot and room specifically for the student). If the student decides to withdraw after the two-week grace period, please notify CIM administration in writing within one week of your last lesson. 100% refunds are available for medical reasons only. For all other reasons, students will be charged 20% of the balance of remaining lessons. If CIM administration is not notified of withdrawal, the student is responsible for the balance of all remaining lessons until the administration is notified by the student.
- In the case of a student who is unsatisfied with the content of the class, they must notify us within two business days of the first class. A 100% refund for remaining classes will be given.
- After the first week: 100% refunds are available only for medical reasons. For all other reasons, students will be charged for 20% of the balance of remaining classes. If CIM administration is not notified of withdrawal, the student is responsible for the balance of all remaining classes.
Registration fees are nonrefundable.
CIM Events, Workshops & Summer Camps: Upon student’s written notice of withdrawal from a workshop or summer camp, the student is entitled to the following schedule of refunds:
- 30 days before event – full refund
- 14 days before event – 75% refund
- 7 days before event – 50% refund
- Refunds are not available on the day of the event or for advance concert ticket sales.
Discount & Reduced Rates
Family Discount: Families with more than one student enrolled at the CIM (immediate family members only) are eligible for a 5% discount as long as all family members are registered before the registration deadline each term.
Ensemble Member Private Lesson Rate: Students enrolled in any of our ensembles, youth or adult, receive a 10% discount on private lessons. Ensemble students must take lessons at least every other week on the instrument they play in the ensemble. Advanced Youth and Starling Ensemble students are required to take weekly lessons on the instrument they play in ensemble.
Registration fees are not eligible for discounts.
CIM policies are subject to change.
If you are interested in developing a community partnership with the CIM for a grant application, please review these guidelines and take a look at our current community partners page.