Administrative Information & Policies
GENERAL INFORMATION FOR ALL STUDENTS
Required Items for All Students:
- An instrument
- A recording device
- Small notebook
Instrument Rental: CIM has instruments available to rent monthly. Please contact us if you are in need of an instrument. Also see our Instruments FAQ page.
Registration Fee: All students must pay an annual registration fee of $20 per student. The membership runs from September to September and helps to cover basic administrative costs throughout the year. Registration fees are non-refundable. NOTE: We do not charge registration fees for the Minnesota Irish Music Weekend (MIM) or summer camps.
Online Student Portal: Once registered, each active CIM student (or family) has access to an online account called a “student portal” where you can manage your personal information, view your balance, check your lesson schedule, make credit card payments and agree to our policies. To sign into your portal, click here or the link on the upper right-hand corner of the CIM website (any page). Use your primary email address (the one that we have on file for you).
NEW: updated 5/1/18
A 20% deposit must be made prior to your first lesson or class. If you have not paid, you cannot come to your lesson. Once you have paid your 20% deposit, you're officially enrolled. Until then, your enrollment is pending.
Students are not allowed to enroll in future terms until the previous term balance is paid in full.
Option 1: Payment for the full term made at the start of the term
Option 2: Automatic monthly payments (for credit cards only)
Option 3: Monthly payments by invoice
Past due balances are subject to a monthly finance charge of 1.5% (18% annual). Returned checks will be assessed a $25 returned check fee.
How to Pay:
- To make payments by credit card or electronic check, log into your student portal.
- To pay by check or cash: There is a locked drop-box for payments located outside of the CIM Office. Please include the following information on the check memo line or on an envelope: Student, class, teacher, day & time of lesson. Checks are payable to "The Center for Irish Music" or "CIM" and can be mailed to The Center for Irish Music, 836 Prior Ave North, Saint Paul, MN 55104. Please do not send cash through the mail.
CANCELLATIONS, 24-HOUR NOTICE & RESCHEDULING POLICIES
Cancelled by Student
Group Classes: Students are expected to attend all group classes. No group classes will be repeated due to the absence of individual students.
Private Lessons: 24-hour notice by email or phone is required to reschedule a single private lesson. Private lessons canceled with less than 24 hours notice will be charged to the student and will not be rescheduled. A maximum of two rescheduled lessons (lessons cancelled with 24-hour notice) is allowed per term for weekly students; a maximum of one rescheduled lesson (lesson cancelled with 24-hour notice) is allowed per term for every-other-week students. The rescheduled lessons (also called "make-up lessons") must take place within that term; otherwise, the student forfeits the lessons.
Cancelled by CIM
Group Lessons: The Center reserves the right to cancel classes or ensembles with insufficient enrollment. A minimum of 4 students is required to run a group class. Classes that do not meet the minimum enrollment by one week before the first meeting may be cancelled. In the event a class is cancelled, you will be notified and given the opportunity to transfer to another class or upgrade to a smaller group class. If you do not enroll in another class you will receive a full refund.
Private Lessons (cancellation by instructor): When an instructor cancels a lesson, he or she will reschedule a make-up lesson with the student during make-up week (at the end of the term), or at another time during the term. Make-up lessons will be scheduled before the end of the term.
CIM usually follows the Saint Paul Public School weather cancellations. Check the homepage or Facebook for the most up-to-date information. We try to make a call by 3pm in the event of a snowstorm or extreme weather.
- A 100% refund is available if administration is notified directly within two weeks of the first lesson. Notifying your instructor of withdrawal from private lessons is not sufficient.
- After the two-week grace period (private lessons only): Once a student has registered for a certain number of lessons for the term, the arrangement is considered a contract between student and instructor (instructors have reserved that time slot and room specifically for the student). If the student decides to withdraw after the two-week grace period, please notify CIM administration in writing within one week of your last lesson. 100% refunds are available for medical reasons only. For all other reasons, students will be charged 20% of the balance of remaining lessons. If CIM administration is not notified of withdrawal, the student is responsible for the balance of all remaining lessons until the administration is notified by the student.
- In the case of a student who is unsatisfied with the content of the class, he or she must notify us within two business days of the first class. A 100% refund for remaining classes will be given.
- After the first week: 100% refunds are available only for medical reasons. For all other reasons, students will be charged for 20% of the balance of remaining classes. If CIM administration is not notified of withdrawal, the student is responsible for the balance of all remaining classes.
Registration fees are nonrefundable.
CIM Events, Workshops & Summer Camps: Upon student’s written notice of withdrawal from a workshop or summer camp, the student is entitled to the following schedule of refunds:
- 30 days before event – full refund
- 14 days before event – 75% refund
- 7 days before event – 50% refund
- Refunds are not available on the day of the event or for advance concert ticket sales.
DISCOUNTS & REDUCED RATES
Family Discount: Families with more than one student enrolled at the CIM (immediate family members only) are eligible for a 5% discount as long as all family members are registered before the registration deadline (available on our printable CIM calendar) each term.
Ensemble Member Private Lesson Rate: Students enrolled in any of our ensembles, youth or adult, receive a 10% discount on private lessons. Ensemble students must take lessons at least every other week on the instrument they play in the ensemble. Advanced Youth and Starling Ensemble students are required to take weekly lessons on the instrument they play in ensemble.
Registration fees are not eligible for discounts.
CIM policies are subject to change.
Please see our financial aid page.
If you are interested in developing a community partnership with the CIM for a grant application, please review these guidelines and take a look at our current community partners page.
Please see our accessibility page.