Midwest Fleadh 2019
Chicago, Illinois - April 26-28, 2019
The Midwest Fleadh Cheoil (pronounced 'flah') is a the main regional traditional Irish music competition hosted annually by a Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann branched that is based in the Midwest. In 2019, the fleadh will be hosted by the Murphy Roche Irish Music Club at the Crown Plaza hotel in Northbrook (suburb of Chicago) in Illinois from April 26-28.
The Advanced Youth Ensemble and Starling ensembles will compete in a few of the group competitions. We would like to extend a warm invitation to all CIM students to join the group in traveling and competing in solo, duet or trios!
In addition to a great opportunity to improve your skills & music through competition (including receiving comments from experienced judges/instructors in the field), the Midwest Fleadh Cheoil is an amazing opportunity to connect to a larger community of Irish musicians. You will also experience of enjoyment and satisfaction of focusing on becoming a better musician.
We hope you will join us this year!
The Midwest Regional Fleadh - Tips and Information
- The Fleadh atmosphere is a great gathering of musicians - it's a fun and supportive environment.
- The goal is to have fun through meeting and hearing other talented young traditional musicians in the Midwest.
- Choose your tunes and songs early, making sure they are memorized with variations at least a month ahead of time. Practice rigorously so that you can relax and enjoy yourself at the competition!
- All competitions are open to public. Family members are encouraged to listen to competitions on Friday and Saturday, whether you know someone who is competing or not.
- All families, instructors and students will attend the Saturday night group competitions (Ceili Band and Grúpa Ceoil). It’s like a concert with a great lively atmosphere – the best part of the weekend. Don't miss it, and wear your CIM t-shirts (available from the office for $15).
- CIM supports students preparing for solo, duet and trio competitions at the fleadh. Private weekly lessons are necessary if you would like to compete. It takes instructors' time and expertise to come up with repertoire, variations etc. Please respect instructors' time if you need extra time from them (you might want to book a few extra lessons, for example) and don't hesitate to contact email@example.com to help with booking these.
- Fleadh registration deadlines and categories are rigid, so please make sure you register for the correct competitions. Contact your instructor, Executive Artistic Director Norah Rendell or Advanced Youth Ensemble director, Brian Miller with questions. There are many other CIM instructors who have experience with the fleadh as well, such as Mary Vanorny, Hannah Flowers, Cory Froehlich, Mattie Ernst, Sean Gavin etc.
- Midwest Fleadh Cheoil
- Midwest Fleadh Cheoil Facebook page
- Murphy Roche Music Club and School of Music (2019 hosting organization)
- All-Ireland Fleadh Cheoil
Music Competition Registration Info
- The registration deadline is in mid-April (still to be posted)
- Go to the Midwest Fleadh Cheoil page and go to the registration page. Here is a direct link to Feisworx
- $25 per competition for non CCÉ members. For duets and trios, each competitor must register individually.
- You MUST register ONLINE for ALL competitions - excluding band or group dance fees (céilí bands, marching bands, grúpaí cheoil, céilí/set dance competitions). CIM will register groups.
Crowne Plaza Northbrook-Chicago
2875 Milwaukee Ave
Northbrook, IL 60062
There is a block booking set up for that weekend with the code "FLE." The rooms are $109/night. Reserve a room as soon as you can as the block booking fills up quickly.
Here is a link to a document prepared by CIM instructor, Brian Miller, that explains the competition categories and options for each instrument:
Practice Fleadh - April 14, 2019
CIM will host a practice fleadh (20-minute slots with an "adjudicator") on April 14th. Each competitor is allowed up to 3 slots, including duos & trios, depending on availability. A sign-up will be posted up here soon.
Qualifying for Ireland
Musicians who place first or second in the Midwest competitions qualify to compete in Ireland at the All-Ireland Fleadh. The All-Ireland Fleadh Cheoil / Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann will be in Drogheda, Co. Louth from August 11 - 18, 2019. More information is on the fleadhcheoil.ie website.
For the past several years, a small group of CIM students have decided to make the trip with their families. In the past two years, CIM has sent an instructor to the All-Ireland to support competitors, but not to chaperone. All of these families are available to share information about any aspect of the trip to Ireland with you! Contact Norah Rendell at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- 11/6/18 - We are currently looking into the feasibility of chartering a bus to the 2019 Chicago Midwest Fleadh.