updated 9/16/19 HCM
FALL TERM IS UNDERWAY - Scheduling for Fall Term is open! Register here for group classes. To register for private lessons or continue a current lesson, please email Hannah Carr-Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org. We have a number of late-start group classes for young children that you can still register for!
JOIN US FOR PINTS & POLKAS SEPT 20, 6pm - The Twin Cities' Irish music scene is thriving and we would like to make sure that CIM students feel welcome, whether they know one tune, or hundreds. There is a session every Friday evening at the Dubliner Cafe from 6-9pm. On September 20th, CIM staff, board members and a few instructors are guartanteed to be there to chat with you, explain what a session is, and answer any questions you might have about sessions & Irish music. The Dubliner is offering discounts on appetizers for students from CIM. The event is free, but we hope you'll stay for a pint or a bite to eat. Come drop by & join us! After Pints & Polkas, head over to the Celtic Junction to the album release for "The Thrush Comes in Spring" by Dòrain. CIM instructor Iain Dove Lempke is a member of Dòrain!
VOLUNTEER THANK YOU PARTY OCT 6, 2:00pm - If you have volunteered for the Center for Irish Music this past year, you are invited to our volunteer appreciation gathering on Sunday, October 6th from 2-4pm at the Dubliner Pub and Café. We'll have refreshments, tunes and a little presentation to say thanks for everything you have done to support us this year.
CONGRATULATIONS to Hannah Flowers and Adrienne O'Shea, the 2019 recipients of the Elizabeth Dillon Redshaw Memorial Scholarship for young adult musicians. The goal of the scholarship is to develop leadership in the local community by encouraging and enabling musicians to continue their studies in Irish music their young adult years. Scholarship recipients demonstrate that they have the skill, drive, inspiration and potential to become lifelong traditional Irish musicians, and have also shown an interest in teaching music. The scholarship was donated to the CIM by Thomas Dillon Redshaw, in honor of his late mother, Elizabeth Dillon Redshaw. As an educator himself (Director of University of St. Thomas' Center for Irish Studies), he understands how crucial it is to develop local leadership and expertise, and has pledged to fund this scholarship for three years.
- September 20 - 6-8:00pm, New Students' Social "Pints and Polkas" at Dubliner Pub & Café, Dòrain album release concert at 8pm at the Celtic Junction
- October 6 - 2:00-4:00pm, CIM Volunteer Thank You party @ Dubliner Pub & Café
- October 13 - 1:30-3:00pm, Junior Session @CIM led by Mary Vanorny, open to all youth musicians
- October 17-18 - CIM open for MEA weekend (OID closed)
- October 31 - CIM closed for Halloween
- November 14 - Give to the Max Day!
- November 23 - 3-5pm, Advanced Youth Ensemble Concert
- November 25 - CIM Open Monday of Thanksgiving Week
- November 26-December 1 - CIM Closed
- December 6 - 7:00-9:00pm, Adult Student Open Mic
- December 8 - 12:00pm, 1:30pm, 3:00pm, 4:30pm - Youth Fall Recitals
- December 15 - Financial aid application deadline for Spring Term
- December 22-January 4 - CIM Closed
- January 5 - Fall Term classes & lessons resume
- January 6 - Spring Term registration deadline for returning students to keep lesson times
- January 16 - Registration Deadline for group classes & family discount
- January 20 - CIM Closed for MLK, Jr Day
- January 21-26 - Fall Term Make-up Week
- January 27 - FIRST DAY OF SPRING TERM
- Printable 2019-2020 Calendar
- Financial Aid Application - Due on the 15th of the month before a new term starts.
The Center for Irish Music welcomes students of any age and level! We love our students and are so happy to have you as a part of our traditional Irish music family. Please take a moment to peruse our website. In addition to information about the CIM, this website includes a wealth of information about the local Twin Cities Irish music scene. Here are some useful online spots, both for admin and music.
- Bookmark this page! - for student announcements, upcoming dates, performances etc.
- CIM's Facebook page is very active. "Like" our page and follow what we are up to.
- CIM Calendar - We have a google calendar for CIM classes and events. For our "Important Dates" printable calendar, see above!
- CIM newsletter - All CIM students are automatically signed up for our monthly newsletter. If you are not receiving our e-newsletter, please sign up on the newsletter page, or contact us at email@example.com. All newsletters are archived on our newsletter page.
- CIM Policies - if you ever need to refer to our policies for private lessons or classes, they are here!
- YOUR student portal!! You have a student portal with our online registration system, where you can access your account, see when your lessons are and view your past enrollment. Click on the "Student Portal" link at the upper right-hand corner of every page of our site! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- CIM Common Repertoire - (under the "Resources" tab). Every few years, we develop an online resource of tunes for our students. This is a great place to learn tunes that your fellow students will know. We are currently working on a 2016 common repertoire.
- Recitals - we hold two recitals a year for all of our students and encourage ALL of you to participate. Our recitals are one of the BEST places to meet new musical friends and families.
- Local Sessions - be a part of the Twin Cities' vibrant tune-playing community by going to listen or play at a session! Don't be shy. . . You may even be able to convince your instructor to go with you—or maybe he or she is already there every week! Former CIM instructor Tom Lockney runs a learner's session at Keegan's pub on Sundays from 4-6pm that many of our students attend.
- Instruments FAQ page - there is a small amount of information about where/how to buy Irish traditional instruments and recommendations of local businesses that will help you with repairs. This information comes directly from our instructors - they are your best resource for any instrument-related questions!
- Local Music Competitions & Midwest Fleadh Cheoil pages - for those of you who benefit from the pressure of a good, solid deadine (that is likely most of you)! We highly recommend these opportunities, particularly for under-18 musicians, as a way to improve and increase your enjoyment of the music.
CIM Google Calendar
We keep this google calendar up to date with events, classes, workshops, board meetings and event planning committee meetings.
Visit this google document to learn about how to stay connected to things at CIM!